From Michael A. Cusamano’s “How to Make Large Teams Work Like Small Teams”
– Simplify the schedule and work out the interdependencies.
– Stabilize the design via frequent synchronization.
– Use iteration and concurrent engineering. Projects should iterate and concurrently manage design, build and test cycles, while they move forward completing a project.
– Break up large complex tasks into small manageable activities.
– Focus on creativity by letting people experiment within known boundaries. Encourage risk-taking.
– Do everything in parallel with frequent synchronizations. This requires lots of informal communication and trust within the team.
– Teams evolve. Leaders need to spark and facilitate this evolution and let teams blossom.